Wednesday 22 May 2013

Plasma Ball and Elephant's toothpaste

The next part of the show saw the boys really interested in our new plasma ball.  They had great fun investigating what happened when they touched it with a finger tip, a whole hand, both hands ...

Many of them were then surprised to see that when I held a small fluorescent tube near the ball, the tube lit up as far as my hand ..

 So of course, I couldn't resist ..


But I think the highlight of the whole experience was when I made Elephant's Toothpaste.  There are lots of examples of this on the internet.  I first saw Steve Spangler do this and thought, "Wow, that looks cool!"  Finding a safer version that wouldn't get me into trouble, we managed to make our own toothpaste at school!  Once again, thanks to Science in a Van for their explanation and instructions.






However, I am thinking that next year we'll have to go for Steve's version and have an outdoor show!

In the next blog, you'll get to find out about our colour changing liquids, what it feels like to be blasted by an Airzooka and some amazing information about a very cool scientist who is making a difference to our world.








No comments:

Post a Comment